Re-examined by Mr W. H. Gattie (8). This Section concludes the evidence given by Elfric Wells Chalmers Kearney.

 3451. Mr. Hopkinson : Looking at the distant future, supposing your Clearing House gets to small, can it be extended readily ; it strikes me it is a single scheme and will not bear extension? --- From what I have heard of the arrangements inside the Clearing House and from what I have shown this afternoon of the capacity of the tubes. I think there is a very wide margin for extension of traffic with the existing Clearing House. If it ever became necessary to have to have still further accommodation I would suggest construction of another Clearing House, rather than the extension of the present one. That is how it occurred to me.

3452. Mr. Clode : There is only one question I should like to , with, with your permission, Sir. I think in giving the figures as to the different amounts of traffic which may be expected from the east, south and north, you have been generally following on the figures which are given in this Table of Mr. Gattie's, which you have seen? --- Yes.

3453. Those figures do not always correspond with the figures you have given , but I take it you meant to follow those figures? --- Yes, they are the figures that have been supplied to me as being the total number of trains.

3454. 149 trains arriving and departing by the northern tunnel approaching the Clearing House, 126 arriving and departing by the southern tunnel approaching the Clearing House? --- They are not my figures, they are already accepted. I said 59 instead of 56.

3455. You have transposed : 136 which are southern you have to put onto the eastern you have put on to the southern and called them 59. This is the schedule Mr. Gattie has put in given in his lecture on the New Transport Company at the School of Economics No. 4 published in 1913 and repeated in most of his publications. The title is "Details of 149 trains Arriving and departing by the Northern Tunnel Approaching the Clearing House," the second is : "Details of 64 trains Arriving and Departing by the Eastern Tunnel Approaching the Clearing House" Then : " Details of 126 trains Arriving and Departing by the Southern Tunnel Approaching the Clearing House." I think, inadvertently, you have altered the last two? --- Yes. The figures Ihave read out to day are as they were given to me, but that must be a mistake .

3456. Whatever they are, yours are quite good ; it does not matter whether the figures are 64 or 126? --- No.

3457. May we have those  sections for the purpose of copying them subject to the Committee? --- Yes certainly.

3458. Will you forward the details of the drawings of the junctions and the spots where they are? --- Certainly.

                        Witness withdrew.





Comments