Cross-examined by Mr. W. B. Clode, K, C,. (15).

3361. And similarly you have not considered it from the railway point of view of the other Companies? --- No.

3362. That is what I thought. I think you have fairly said that it is a question of the construction and not if the working to which you have applied your mind? --- Yes.

3363. As my friend reminds me, your figures that you gave about per mile run of tube hardly seem applicable to those yellow and blue spaces you have been talking about? --- Oh, gracious, no.

3364. I did not think do either. That means a lot more expense, does it not?  --- The figure I gave you was only for the red and blue parts.

3365. But you have been asked to advise about that, and you have given them a figure for the blue and yellow, have you not? --- In this case you have four tubes running in ; you can take it that it will be approximately the cost of four tubes up to that point. (Indicating.) This widens out into about four tracks here, so that half of that can be taken at cost of four tubes. We have promised you details of the cost.

3366. And your £300,000 a mile is the old Great Northern and City figure? --- No; that is twice the old Great Northern and City figure.

3367. It is double what you say the Great Northern and City when it was made, say 20 years ago? --- Yes.

3368. You have fixed it by that? --- It is rather more than double.

3369. But whatever the Great Northern and City was 30 years ago you have doubled it? --- It is more than doubled. The Great Northern and City figure was £81 per yard run, and the figure on which I have based my calculation is £170 per yard run.

3370. I do not want, of course, to take up the time of the committee by examining in detail; you realise that I see this for the first time and you are going to give me all the details and information necessary for us to test the scheme? --- Yes.

Comments