Sydney Harbour Bridge Vs Tunnel debate December 1921

From the Kearney Files
Sydney 3rd December 1921

Lady Headley's Trip 
Marred by Ill Health
Departure for London

Among the passengers who left by the Mantua for London today was Lady Headley (Barbara Baynton), the authoress , who has been spending several months in Australia.
"This trip," she said, chatting on deck. ,"was spoilt by my long illness. I was laid up for nine weeks in Sydney, and my programme of activities was seriously interfered with."
"However, she added, "Lord Headley and I will be visiting Australia next year. It is the  proposed North Shore tunnel that will bring Lord Headley here, as he is interested in the high speed railway that is s part of the scheme. The scheme has already excited much interest in England. For my part, I must see Australia, my birthplace, every year in my capacity as principal owner and director of the Law Book Company. of Australia.

Comments