Sydney Harbour Bridge Vs Tunnel debate July 1922

From the Kearney Files
Sydney 24th July 1922.

HARBOUR TUNNEL

INVENTOR COMING FROM LONDON

OFFICIAL COLD SHOULDER

Until the Harbour bridge is actually started, the advocates of a tunnel will not withdraw from the field.

The proposal for a tube to carry a special high speed railway has been urged by Mr. Chalmers Kearney, of London, but the Government officials have been adverse to the scheme.
Mr. Kearney has now written the following letter to the Premier :-----
"I confirm my gable to you of May 22, as follows : I am desirous of showing the model Kearney High Speed Railway to your Government. I could leave immediately if I can be assured serious consideration."
"I have now received your reply of to - day's date as under: "Replying to your telegram of May 22, Government does not wish you to visit New South Wales to demonstrate model high speed railway. --- Premier."
"As no reasons are given for your Government's  refusal to allow a demonstration of the railway to be given in Sydney, it is not possible for me to make any adequate reply. I trust, however, that I shall receive some explanation by letter.
"In any case I must request you to inform Government that I cannot allow the matter to rest where it now is. Failing an invitation from you to visit Sydney (at my own expense), I must come without it, in order that the public may have an opportunity of seeing what the Kearney Railway really is, and what it can do. In my opinion, it would be nothing short of a national misfortune for the Kearney Railway to be ignored in connection with the development of the railway services in Sydney and it's environs.
"I take this opportunity in protesting against the entirely err and misleading information which has been issued to the Sydney press concerning the Kearney Railway and myself by certain officials in Government employment".

Comments