Australian Hero part two


World's News Saturday 28th  October 1905
Taken from the Kearney Files.

An instance of heroism, which almost passed unnoticed, owing to the modesty of the hero, occurred recently at Barnham Junction near Bognor, on the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. The hero proved to be Mr. E.W.Chalmers Kearney, an Australian engineer practicing in London.
A great crowd of excursionists had assembled on the platform of the station when a woman, whose name has not even yet transpired, pushed by those behind her fell on to the rails just as a train was approaching. The woman stunned by her fall, did not move and whilst everyone else stood gazing spellbound and the train drew nearer, a young man sprang down, seized the woman in his arms and placed her on the platform. He had barely time to scramble into a place of safety himself before the train steamed past. Another few seconds and both rescued and rescuer must have been crushed to death.
The suddenness of the whole affair and the dramatic features which surrounded it, seemed to still hold the crowd motionless. Before they recovered from their suprise the young man had taken his seat in the train and was on his way to London. The momentary indecision of the crowd had afforded him opportunity to slip away unobserved, for true heroism and modesty go hand in hand.
A gentleman who witnessed the whole affair and also travelled in the same compartment with Mr. Kearney to London wrote to the "Morning Leader," saying :- "Personally, I have never seen anyone take such prompt action with such telling effect as did this young man in question. I managed to get into conversation with him on the journey to London, but it was very difficult to get him to say anything about himself. He asked me if I represented the press in any way and I truthfully said "No". He then became freer in his speech and at length I got him to exchange cards with me. I gave a copy of it herewith, because I think that such a deed as his should be known and be coupled with his name. As I did not promise not to communicate with the press I feel at liberty to do so.
"The card reads as follows:
"Mr. E.W. Chalmers Kearney.
"St. Helen's-place, E.C.
"If you want a fuller account of what took place, no doubt Mr. Kearney himself might be persuaded to give it. His was a noble deed and I trust he will be rewarded in a fitting manner."
Mr. Kearney, however, did not give a fuller account of what took place," and the newspaper man told off for the interview found him very difficult to approach.
"You won't say much about it,will you ?" said he to the inquisitive visitor.
"You see, there was a terrible crush on the platform, it was crowded. I was just rushing for my train when I saw a woman fall over the platform. I did what any man would have done, I jumped down directly and dragged her away from the incoming train.
"No one else seemed to notice that the poor woman had fallen into the rails. Yet she fell from a full platform."
"Did you know the lady at all?"
"Of course not. It wasn't a question of knowing anybody ; it was help. Saving life!"

Comments